Monday, February 13, 2017

Just a Few Capers Trying to Make an Impact on the World

Hi everyone! We are officially 1 WEEK away from our trip and we couldn't be MORE EXCITED! Being from Cape Breton, we know everyone knows "Yer fadder", and how we'll always be known as "so and so's brother/sister", but we wanted to give you a bit of our own rendition of who we are and why we're going on this life changing adventure!

 

🌍📷💉🏥🛄💛


Los Estudiantes

(The Students) - We're working really hard on our Spanish skills


Mary MacKinnon
Age:  21
Hometown: Westmount, NS
Why are you going: I love to travel and see the world. Being able to do that, while providing care to those is so exciting! I can’t wait to see nursing from a different perspective and learn about the local population. I am also excited to travel with friends that I have made over the past four years, as they are all wonderful people who will make amazing nurses someday!
Personal Fact: I love puns, you could say I love them a latte…🍵😜

Brea Falconer
Age: 21
Hometown: Coxheath, NS
Why are you going: I am going on this trip to experience health care in a different culture and increase my knowledge to be able to better care for my future patients.
Personal Fact: I may or may not come home with a baby from the orphanage… Sorry mom! 🍼

Matthew Andrea
Age:  26
Hometown: Glace Bay, NS
Why are you going: I am going on this trip because I’m not sure if I’d survive home without my mom 👪

Kelsey McNeill
Age:  22
Hometown: Sydney, NS
Why are you going: I am going on this trip to increase my worldview and experience healthcare in another culture.
Personal Fact: This will be my first time traveling outside of North America 🗻

Brialee Tighe
Age:  23
Hometown: Sydney River, NS
Why are you going: I’m going on this trip because it allows me to travel and practice nursing at the same time.
Personal Fact: I have been a waitress for 4 years at Boston Pizza and it has helped me in nursing with time management, communication, dealing with conflicts, etc.🍕

Jenna Harris
Age: 21
Hometown: Sydney River, NS
Why are you going: I’m going on this trip for the incredible experience to see how medical areas are run in a less developed country.
Personal Fact: I wish I could pack my mom in my suitcase 👜

Emily MacKinnon
Age: 22
Hometown: Sydney, NS
Why are you going: I am excited to be going on this trip to broaden my knowledge of nursing and of a different culture.
Personal Fact: I love taking pictures 📷

Jaclyn Turnbull
Age:  21
Hometown: Reserve Mine, NS
Why are you going: To challenge my comfort zones; experience a new culture, adventure, history, and nature. Looking forward to playing with kids, helping the elderly, sleeping in a hostel, and unfamiliar experiences with medical systems and medical practices to take with me for the rest of my nursing career.
Personal Fact: I will be celebrating my champagne birthday in Ecuador! 🎂

Sarah Devoe
Age: 21
Hometown: Alder Point, NS
Why are you going: I am going on this trip to experience other cultures and to celebrate being (almost) finished my degree.
Personal Fact: I have played hockey since I was 5 years old 🏃

Megan MacNeil
Age:  21
Hometown: Sydney, NS
Why are you going: I’m going on this trip because being able to implement our practices in a different country will be a fulfilling experience!
Personal Fact: I took a selfie with Bradley Cooper in New York! 🗽

Clare MacIsaac
Age:  21
Hometown: River Ryan, NS
Why are you going: This is a once in a lifetime trip and I am very excited to spend it with my best friends! 👭

Logan Jessome
Age:  22
Hometown: George's River, NS
Why are you going: I am going to Ecuador to experience health care in another country, help others, expand my knowledge and have a little fun along the way!
Personal Fact: I have previously been on a medical/dental mission to Honduras and I look forward to more in the future 💊

Emily Wilson
Age:  21
Hometown: New Waterford, NS
Why are you going: I’m looking forward to experiencing the healthcare system of a different culture, and sharing what knowledge we have gained throughout our degree to make a positive impact there. I’m also excited to share this experience with some of my best friends before we graduate!
Personal Fact: I love trying new food! 🍴

Morgan McGillivray
Age: 21
Hometown: New Waterford, NS
Why are you going: I’m going on this trip to experience another culture, increase my nursing knowledge, and see healthcare from a new perspective.
Personal Fact: I am especially excited for our trip to an orphanage and to the NICU! You’ll have to drag me out of there! 👶

Rebecca McNeil
Age: 21
Hometown: Glace Bay, NS
Why are you going: I can't wait to experience another culture and learn about the health care system in Ecuador 🌎

Chelsea Hart
Age:  22
Hometown: Little Bras d’Or, NS
Why are you going: I am going on this trip to learn about the healthcare of another country and learn about a different culture.
Personal Fact: I’ve never traveled outside of North America 🚅

Michelle Dumais
Age:  40
Hometown: River Ryan, NS
Why are you going: I love to travel and immerse myself in different cultures. I am looking forward to my nursing experience in South America!
Personal Fact: A simple smile is a universal language and can change the course of someone’s day! So SMILE… They are free 😄

Mikayla Courtney
Age:  21
Hometown: Glace Bay, NS
Why are you going: This trip is an opportunity of a lifetime to help make a difference in another country.
Personal Fact: I have a passion for obstetrics and hope to work with newborns in Ecuador! 🍼

Nadine Boutilier
Age:  42
Hometown: Glace Bay, NS
Why are you going: I’m going on this trip because I think it will be an awesome and life changing experience.
Personal Fact: My glass is always “half full” and never half empty! 🍶

Venus Sorizo
Age:  21
Hometown: Originally from the Philippines but now North Sydney, NS
Why are you going: I grew up dreaming of traveling the world to see beautiful places, meet beautiful people and expand my knowledge on cultural diversity. I also like helping people, as I believe it is our nature. Going to Ecuador will be an amazing experience as it incorporates my love of traveling to my future career, which is becoming a nurse and to help people who have medical needs.
Personal Fact: I have 5 tattoos 🔯

Jessica MacKenzie
Age: 35
Hometown: Christmas Island, NS
Why are you going: I’m going on this trip because I love to travel and experience new things.
Personal Fact: I am a crazy cat lady! 🐱

Wendy Russell
Age:  36
Hometown: North Sydney, NS
Why are you going: I’m going on this trip because I’ve always wanted to volunteer in other countries, as it is a great way to help and also learn about other cultures.
Personal Fact: I’m an artist and I have two dogs 🐶🐶

Stacy Wall
Age:  30
Hometown: Little Bras d’Or, NS
Why are you going: I’m going on this trip to gain perspective on health care in a different country and to have a life changing experience with my fellow classmates.
Personal Fact: I am a mother of a four year old with a previous degree in 
psychology 📜

 Remo Tell

"Los Educadores"

(The Educators) - It's pretty similar to English right?

 

Belinda Andrea
Age:  (very young)
Hometown: Glace Bay, NS
Why are you going: I’m going on this trip to be witness to my students “be forever changed” by what is simply incredible.
Personal Fact: I will be the earliest out of bed to get the hot water! 🌊

Kim Lake
Age: Ageless 😀
Hometown: Sydney, NS
Why are you going: I’m going on this trip so I can watch Belinda and Debbie zip line in the Andes mountains.🌄
Personal Fact: Denise and I did it last year!

Debbie Cantwell
Age😀
Hometown: Sydney Mines, NS
Why are you going: Going on this trip to add to a wonderful career I have had thus far in nursing and to share this amazing experience with a great group of colleagues and nurses to be. Can't wait! 💉

Denise Campbell
Age😀
Hometown: Born & raised in Toronto- moved to Cape Breton in 2011
Why are you going: I am so lucky and blessed to be traveling to Quito for a second life-changing adventure!
Personal Fact: I was a Toronto police officer for 20 years 👮

Now that you know a little bit about all of us, we can't wait to update you all after our first day of travel! 

 

Adventure is calling! 🌎

 

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment